Friday, October 5, 2012

good things come from pain sometimes.....

The night before we left for Jamaica in 2008, we dropped Ryan off at college and as a matter of fact, he drove us to the hotel near the airport and that is where we said good-bye. Tough night for sure.

Four years have come and gone. Hard to believe. While Ryan was a VFCC student, we couldn't afford to bring him to Jamaica. Of course Christmas was a given, but in an actual semester, there are quite a few long weekends and breaks. We were just so sad to realize that he was hiding in his dorm room and didn't have access to the cafe. We would send money for him to go to the grocery store and he would buy cereal and bread. OJ and peanut butter. Tough days for sure, for him, for us.

While we were in Jamaica knowing that we would be coming to VFCC as MIR, we committed to each other that we would find those students and feed them at least one meal during a break.

Tonight was the night! We have been dreaming about this night. Already we are planning our dinner for the next break!

We made sloppy joes, had chips, brownies and sodas. The students learned about our little gathering by word of mouth, Den's and Renee's! Because of security I can't walk into the dorms and knock on doors. That is what I really want to do. So word of mouth had to do.

35 students showed up at the Anvil (the student hang-out) and eat they did! It was a fantastic night. I am so thrilled. The students were so very grateful. I am pleased. I think God is too.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO proud of you that you did this! I've "been there" too; in my earlier days at CBC. In the AG schools a lot is taken for granted, and I think a lot of times the higher ups DON'T realize there are kids "hiding" in their rooms eating peanut butter and crackers during school breaks. I always managed to buy enough cereal and snack food to get me through something like a long weekend. In my "later days" at CBC, I knew married students who would have me over. Maybe you've started a new trend at VFCC and I hope at ALL of our schools if I have anything to say about it. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete