Sunday, December 2, 2012

yeast, honey and salt...

When we are not on the road, we attend Grace Assembly where Pastor Mason has been at the helm for 46 years. He and his precious wife Nina retire December 31. Today I thought it was going to be another wonderful typical day in church. Was I wrong.

The service was great, the worship was great with the singing of classic Christmas carols, the ministry of the Holy Spirit was awesome, the preaching was great but something surprised me at the end. It was communion Sunday and before we ate the elements, Pastor Mason said that for his devotions this past week something jumped out to him from Leviticus. Wait, what? What in the world could jump out to a man that has been preaching for 46 years in the same church from Leviticus? Whatever could he have found? I have been reading the Bible since I was a child and I must admit I only read Leviticus when I get to it through my "Reading Through the Bible Chart". I was sitting on the edge of my seat to find out where this was going to go. First of all he said I am not talking theology here, I am talking practical reality.

Pastor Mason talked about the qualifications to making a sacrifice. The thing that you come to God about. God said 3 things about the sacrifice. Number one: don't add yeast. Number two: don't add honey. Number Three: add a little salt.
Here is the application. God knows your story. He knows where you are. He knows every situation. You don't have to add yeast meaning, You don't have to blow up your story to make it something that it is not. You don't have to add honey, meaning you don't have to sugarcoat your story. He already knows what it is. Your situation is what it is.

Adding a little salt meant God will preserve you through your story. He knows everything you have gone through and He is Emmanuel. God with us. He will preserve you through everything, in everything and  whatever "it" is, He is already there. From there we sang Emmanuel and I must admit, I let my tears flow....in this next transition in our ministry lives, He will be there. He knows our story. He knows. He cares. He will take care of every detail. wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment