Sunday, December 9, 2012

..a beautiful weekend and a beautiful tea...

This weekend has been on the calendar since July. I was anxious for it to come. My wonderful girlfriend who has been in my life for a very long time does an annual Christmas tea. It is always the second Saturday of December. Donna who was my childhood school friend and church friend knows how to put on a spread. She and her pastry chef daughter host the tea in Donna's home. From start to finish it is a very special time.

We went around the room and gave our name and how we know Donna. When her mom and my mom introduced their name they quickly added that on Sundays after church they didn't know how many mouths they would be feeding as all of us friends would mix it up and go with one or the other! Donna has 3 siblings and I have 4. I quickly mentioned that each household had a roast in the oven ready for whomever came home on those Sunday afternoons. She has been my friend for well over 50 years. She really knows me! We always pick up where we left off.

Because of never living nearby I have never been able to attend but my mom always sends me pictures and a blow by blow account of the tea. It was so nice to be there in person.



 
It was a special treat to have Renee with me as well. She enjoyed her time with all the "older" ladies! I think it is really important for our teenagers to be in settings like that to learn lots of things. Hospitality, how to place the table, how to introduce one another, enjoying party games that have nothing to do with a computer, eating ladylike with a plate on your lap, getting a doorprize, putting on booties so as not to soil the carpet, dressing up for a Saturday afternoon, how others decorate a home, taking a hostess gift, drinking tea from china. Oh my the lessons we learn when can learn we are young!
 
 
Donna's daughter Charissa went to college to major in accounting. She was there only a week when she realized that major wasn't really what she wanted. She eventually landed in culinary school and found her niche! Donna reminds us that she couldn't even make toast, it was a surprise to the entire family that she was so gifted. But I must say, it is in her genes. Her mom is an incredible baker and cook as well. She is the one that made the very intricate cupcakes for Renee's graduation/16th birthday party. She is so talented, so as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
 
Here are a few of the delicacies that we enjoyed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Renee won a beautiful door prize!
 
and then a cookie to go!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment