Saturday, September 8, 2012

....one of my least favorite things!

I didn't grow up in a "yard-saling" family. To this day I never remember my mom going to one. I don't remember having any growing up. I asked her today if she likes them and she said, "No, I never enjoyed them! If I went I felt like I had to buy something, even though there wasn't anything I wanted!"

So I guess that explains why I didn't grow up running around with her on Saturday mornings to everybody's garage! I think the real reason was Saturday morning was cleaning time and she knew if we started going here and there we wouldn't get our housework done! Such a smart mom!

Denny and I have moved many times in our 34 years of marriage so I guess that is why we have had tons of sales. I have never enjoyed them. I don't like the lugging and the lifting. I don't like the worry of bad weather pending. I don't like to price things. I don't like it when people pick up your treasures and say, "will you take a quarter" and I really don't like the clean up of everything you have pulled from the house and now since it didn't sell, you have to lug to goodwill!

As you can see I am not a good yard-saler! But alas, today we had to do another one! We did so poorly we have to do it again next weekend!

When we left Springfield, MO in 2008 to make our way to Jamaica, we had a sale. We thought we had cleaned out and could live with the stuff that remained and we put it into a storage unit in PA. For the last four years that is where it has lived!

When we left Jamaica, we had a sale. I must say it was the best way to do one! Here is why. Everything remains in the front room of the house and people walk into that room and buy what they want. There is no weather problem, no lugging problem, no finding table problem! It was the best, that is if having a sale is something that is the best!

There again, we thought we sold everything we needed to sell and could live with what was left. Not to be. When we arrived in Phoenixville, we learned very quickly that the stuff remaining from our Springfield move, and the stuff we shipped from Jamaica was not going to fit in a two bedroom apartment!

We came to a wise decision! Why are we storing or carting all this stuff all over the world? What can we do to get down to bare bones living? You guessed it. It required another yard sale!

One problem, we can't do it in our yard here in the apartment so we asked Pastor Jack if we could have it at the church and so today was the day!

Thanks to Grace Assembly for the use of their tables and yard! I forgot to pull out my camera when everything was up and going strong but here are a couple of pictures after the first load was brought out!

 
 
 
 
Rain and storms were predicted but thank God the rain didn't arrive until we actually arrived at our doorstep. Now we have to pray for good weather for next Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment