Sunday, November 11, 2012

..scars tell stories, they also spell grace...

When Den isn't preaching somewhere we attend Grace Assembly, the place where I work 5 days a week! Love the church, love the pastor and Nina.

We started attending the church in July and shortly after that learned that Pastor Mason and Nina are retiring December 31, 2012. Sad.....yeh a bit. These are the kind of pastors that love love love. It doesn't matter who walks through the door. Their countenance says Welcome Here, We love you. Their words say the same.

Pastor Jack and Nina have been pastors of Grace for 46 years. Astounding, if you ask me. I am so sorry that for the rest of our assignment here they will not be in the forefront, but I am so delighted they hadn't retired before we got here! We get to observe their letting go, their release, their farewells, their celebrations.

This morning was the first celebration. There are three. Family, Community, and Church. Today Pastor Jacks six siblings and spouses were in attendance and they all sang around the piano! They sang two songs, The longer I serve Him and Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus. Absolutely beautiful. Along with humorous stories on his family members, he said that when they were children they didn't have much furniture, but they had a piano. The father put money into the kids learning to play and when they were ready put them front and center! Pastor Jack said it didn't matter what was going on in interpersonal struggles, when they started to sing, all the evil forces had to leave. I love that. What a lesson.

When Pastor Mason preached the sermon, there were three points:
1. A God honoring thankful family is built on trust.
2. A God honoring thankful family is built on commitment.
3. A God honoring thankful family is built on delight.

In the middle of the sermon, he said something that made me stop. Our goal today is not to put on display a perfect family, but a family that has experienced His grace, His mercy.

At the end of the sermon and into the closing prayer he said, Be thankful for your scars.

Tears came down my face. I have begrudged my scars, I have tried to erase my scars, I have resented my scars, finally I am thankful for my scars. God trusts me with them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment